- 300ml milk
- 25g butter
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 3 cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 50g white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp single cream
- pinch of nutmeg
You can’t slice bread sauce
Actually, we think that not being able to slice our bread sauce is probably a good thing. We did consider having a bread sauce sandwich…but we decided not to, just too ‘bready’ really (bread in bread – excessive, even if you love bread).
However, bread sauce on poultry is good. Chicken for example – or perhaps something more exotic like a guineafowl or even a pheasant. Apparently bread sauce works on all of these things. But not so with budgies, canaries or other small birds. So don’t try it – we haven’t and don’t endorse it (neither do we want letters/emails from fans of budgies). Plus of course, it’s far too much effort to to pluck the little critters. But perhaps more to the point we checked on Wikipedia about what Poultry is….and it’s actually quite specific and doesn’t involve little blue and/or yellow things generally speaking. So we put Barry back in his cage and proceeded with what is clearly more socially acceptable – Chicken with Bread Sauce:
How we did it:
- First of all we had a request from Jenn…to make bread sauce in the first place. We’d never made it before. So thank you Jenn.
- We picked a socially acceptable bird and placed it in the oven (i.e. a chicken, not a budgie). We used this recipe.
- We placed the butter, clove, milk, thyme, garlic, peppercorns, onion and bay leaves into a saucepan and simmered for 20 minutes
- We strained it and put it back in the saucepan.
- We added the breadcrumbs, mixed in and re-heated for 5 minutes over a low-to-medium heat.
- We added cream for the last minute or so.
- We poured it into a serving bowl and sprinkled with nutmeg.
- We high-fived with Barry. We used a hand, he used a wing.
What we thought of it:
OK, first of all we don’t have a budgie called Barry. Budgies can’t high five anyway, hope you spotted that. He’s fictional. Secondly, having never had bread sauce before we weren’t sure what to expect. However, it was really good. Jessica’s mummy loved it. I’m sure she’ll add comments here. Right, Jessica’s mummy? And probably Jenn too – bread sauce being her idea (she only ever suggested chicken by the way).